Friday, January 21, 2011

Wenger's reaction to the Leeds United 1-3 Arsenal match

On his side’s performance…
We had both a good result and a good performance. We had quality in our attitude, spirit and focus. We started strongly and we played the football we like to play for the best part of the game. Leeds never gave up but we looked just too strong tonight for them. I think we got a warning in the first game and we [learnt] the lesson. That shows that my players are intelligent and that is a good sign.

On second-half substitutions helping to seal the game…
I have quality on the bench, that helps especially when your legs get tried. The incisive passing of the players can make the difference. I was impressed by Leeds over the two games, by the way they were organised, by their spirit, by their physical qualities and I think they have a chance to come back to the Premier League.

On the prospect of Huddersfield in the Fourth Round…
It gives us a good opportunity to play at home in front of our home fans. Of course we will be favourites and I believe we had that in our mind tonight, the fact that if we qualify we play at home. I believe the team goes from strength to strength with great spirit and we have shown again tonight that we are hungry.

On the defensive issue…
Every time the [central defenders] fight for the ball I hope nothing happens. Of course we are a bit short in there, if we have an opportunity [to get someone in] we will take it. But as long as they [Djourou and Koscielny] are fit, and with Squillaci to come back, we are a bit more comfortable.

On Samir Nasri’s performance…
Samir played well tonight but the whole team played well and it's difficult to single one player out. Everybody had a good performance.

On Huddersfield…
I have Benik Afobe there, at the moment he is injured. There is a link between Huddersfield and Arsenal from a long, long time ago. I am happy to play them at home.

On the way Afobe is developing…
I am convinced he is a good, powerful striker. I am convinced he will make a career.

On what he has said to Simon Grayson...
You have to give him credit for the way his team behaved in the two games. I think he organises them well, they have belief and when you look at what they produced I think they have a good chance to get into the [Championship] play-offs. We miss Leeds in the Premier League.

Source: Arsenal.com on 19 Jan 11

No comments:

Post a Comment