Friday, January 7, 2011

Wenger's reaction to the Arsenal 0-0 Manchester City match

On the performance against Manchester City…
I feel we had the performance and not the result. But I take a lot of encouragement from tonight’s game, even if mathematically we are all frustrated and the players are very disappointed. But overall there is no way we should lose courage or belief in our team. It is the opposite. We should even come out with even more belief in our quality and be more resolute in the coming games because we have shown we have what it takes to be a serious contender in this League.

On his regrets about the game…
The regret I have tonight is that we did not take our early chances because that would have changed the game. They came here to have a 0-0 and they got what they wanted. I believe had we scored the first goal it would have changed the run of the game tremendously. We faced long, long periods in the game where we faced 10 men as Tevez – I have never seen him so deep. When we lost a little bit of sharpness and freshness in our movement, we looked less dangerous, because you need to play against 10 men like that in the final third. Quality passing, sharp movements… they became more difficult as the game went down.

On Manchester City's approach…
I wasn’t surprised because they came here last year set up to play 0-0 as well. I wasn’t too surprised, but I hoped that we would have scored one of our early chances. I must say as well that we were unlucky because we hit the post a few times, their keeper made a few good saves and they defended very deep. So it was difficult.

On playing for time at the end of the game…
That was the frustrating thing of the night a little bit, yes. That was showing that they were happy with the 0-0. I can never understand why when the goal kick is on the right, the goalkeeper goes on the left. It’s always a sign that they are happy to gain a few seconds when they go down and are not in a hurry to get up. We faced that today and I would rather take the positive out of the game. It is a long way to go and I believe my team gets stronger and stronger thought we have to keep focusing on what we do.

We try to win our games always, but maybe it was their way to try to win. To defend deep and to catch us on the break and make something special. That was the way they were organized tonight. We have to respect that and sort out the problems we face. Even if a team defends deep, we have to find a way to score and you cannot reproach Man City for that. Maybe it was not the most spectacular way but still they were efficient in what they wanted and they got it.

On the sending off…
It was harsh. I hoped for a second that it would be two yellows because the game was fair. It was not very physical or a game full of hate, it was a respectful game. Both teams were committed but I hoped yellow and we got red. He can only show yellow or red and he chose red. It looked to me a little out of context to the game, but we have to look at it again because it was on the other side of the bench.

On whether he will appeal the decision…
I don’t know. I will look at it first before I make a decision. It will be three games, but it is good for us because three games is always only one week for us.

On Mancini saying his approach was due to missing players…
They played Barry, De Jong and Toure in midfield. Tevez up front. At the back they had I think a strong defence. They missed maybe one or two players. They missed Silva maybe. I cannot explain his approach only he can explain his approach.

On Fabregas being frustrated…
Of course Cesc is upset because he wants to win the game. He doesn’t go out there to play a draw he goes out there to win and every time he does not win I can tell you he is very frustrated. But we are all [frustrated] tonight. I don’t blame my team. I think I would more encourage them to keep playing like we do and win more games than we draw.

Source: Arsenal.com on 5 Jan 11

No comments:

Post a Comment