Sunday, January 9, 2011

Wenger's reaction to the Arsenal 1-1 Leeds United match

On a tough FA Cup tie...
I must say at first that it was a very difficult game because it was a real Cup game and Leeds were up for it, they played well. It was the kind of game where you felt that it was important not to go 1-0 down. When we were 1-0 down I felt that Wojciech kept us in the game with a good save on the header [from Becchio]. We looked like we would come back but we were short of time and it was important to keep the momentum and not to go out today because that would have been a shocker.

On nearly scoring a winner...
Even when we equalised we still had three chances at 1-1 but we couldn't take them. At least we are still in the Cup and hopefully we can do it at Leeds.

On the inconvenience of a replay...
It was not exactly the wish I had before the game but it was the second worst wish. The worst would have been to go out. We go to Ipswich on Wednesday, we play West Ham on Saturday and then the replay of the FA Cup is after that.

On facing Schmeichel and Bruce...
Name-wise yes [I felt some deja vu]. I see today that Schmeichel and Bruce had a fantastic games, both Leeds centre backs did. Maybe these two names want to make my life difficult forever!

On how the draw might affect his preparation...
It is a good warning that we got today. But we knew before the game that Leeds went to Old Trafford last year and won, and they had a draw at Tottenham. Overall this team have belief in that competition, from last year certainly. They did very well, were very aggressive but in a good way, not a negative way, they closed us down everywhere and we had problems to pass through their lines. They were dangerous as well and it was important for us not to give a goal away, but we did.

On whether Leeds were more positive than Manchester City...
I don't know what I want to say there. They were positive, they played longer balls but on the second ball they were well-organised, they were quickly on us and maybe our game was not quick enough to get out of their pressure.

On his disappointment at the penalty conceded...
Yes [I was disappointed]. He is a right-footed player, very sharp and we knew that. We should not have dived in. We knew it would be difficult to go a goal down.

On the impact of Cesc Fabregas...
Straight away he gives us something in the speed of the passing that makes our game much quicker and more dangerous. It shows you how important it is to pass and see quickly in midfield.

On more speculation over Cesc's future...
I have a good sense of humour but I don't understand this one. I cannot see how people can say things like that without us knowing it. We have the contract of the player and we would inform you if we would sell the player. We sell nobody.

On leadership...
Fabregas does it. I felt today our game was a bit slow in our passing, we were not sharp in our decision-making, the rest is the credit to Leeds. They stopped us from playing more than [us lacking] leadership. When Cesc comes on he has that vision so even if he is closed down he doesn't have to run too much to make the game quicker.

On the penalty Arsenal didn't get...
I will be faithful to my reputation - I did not see the first one! The second one looked to be a penalty because he pulled Theo back, the first one was impossible to see from the bench.

On Roy Hodgson's departure...
I am shocked because I rate Roy Hodgson as a great manager. It puts our job into perspective because he was Manager of the Year in July. It shows you how quickly we lose our qualities because he had to go six months later. Of course it is a shock and I feel our job suffers today.

Source: Arsenal.com on 8 Jan 11

No comments:

Post a Comment