Sunday, November 28, 2010

Wenger's reaction to the Aston Villa 2-4 Arsenal match

On a good win to end a disappointing week…
I believe we had three good performances and for me against Tottenham we played well. We had a lot of possession in a difficult game in Braga and we responded well today. Overall you focus on the performance – you do not always lose when you dominate games and that’s what happened today. We played well, Villa had a good response in the second half but we managed to find the resources to win the game.

On whether it was a surprising that it took so long to get the first goal…
We were very dominant and the only regret you have at that stage is that you do not score enough goals. At 2-0 at half time you feel among the players that what happened last week had an impact in their head. When it came back to 2-1 it was an interesting test for my team. We could crumble or we could score again and we scored again. Villa are a good side with good strikers and a solid defence but overall I think we dominated the game.

On the mental strength shown by his team…
This team is very interesting because they are on the same wavelength in the way they want to play and [the way] they fight for each other. It’s very interesting to see and I think there is a lot more to come from this team.

On Andrey Arshavin’s performance…
He has been very sharp today I feel. I felt he was always dangerous. A good test is when you like a player to have the ball and you always like him to have the ball because you feet he could make the difference.

On whether players had to step up in the absence of Cesc Fabregas…
No, not really. I feel we want ideally Cesc to be there but I was confident before the game. We have a way we want to play football. Of course Cesc has his special talent but I still feel that no matter who plays we can have good team play.

On going top of the Premier League…
That’s the modern world of football, it changes quickly. What you do is focus on the quality of what you want to do and let people judge. I feel we played very well against Tottenham and they created less chances than Villa did today but we lost the game.

On Arsenal’s poor home form…
I don’t believe we have [a problem]. I prefer to have the problem this way around than the other way around. At home at some stage you will get things right. There is no fear from the players. Maybe we want a bit more urgency at home and feel at the start a bit too confident.

Source: Arsenal.com on 27 Nov 10

No comments:

Post a Comment