Saturday, November 6, 2010

Arsenal's game away to Braga is a must-win, says Emmanuel Eboué

Emmanuel Eboué believes Arsenal's trip to Braga in three weeks' time has become a must-win fixture following their defeat by Shakhtar Donetsk yesterday evening. Arsène Wenger's team were beaten 2-1 by the Ukrainian champions at the Donbass Arena, a first loss in Group H and one that allowed Donetsk to draw level alongside Arsenal on nine points, with Braga's defeat of Partizan placing the Portuguese side in third, on six points.

"The game against Braga away we have to win," said Eboué, who conceded the free-kick that led to Shakhtar's equaliser. "We are very disappointed about the result but we have to put our heads up and focus now on our league [campaign]."

Lukasz Fabianski, who was again impressive in the Arsenal goal, offered a more positive take. "I think we are in a good, strong position. We are in a good Champions League position and would have been in a better one had we drawn here," he said. "But we have to be focused. We have to win the next two games and then we can be happy."

After losing 6-0 at the Emirates Stadium, Braga would have to inflict a seven-goal defeat on Arsenal to overturn the head-to-head tie-breaker and a draw at the Estádio AXA would virtually guarantee qualification for Wenger's side. Arsenal's immediate concern, though, is the Premier League. Five points behind the leaders, Chelsea, they host Newcastle United on Sunday. "We now prepare for [Newcastle]," Fabianski said. "We are at home again on Sunday and have to take advantage of that."

Jack Wilshere, who created Theo Walcott's first-half goal against Shakhtar and will be back to face Newcastle on Sundaty following a three-match domestic suspension, said he is fashioning his game on Liam Brady. "[He] is my role model," said Wilshere of the former Arsenal midfielder, who is head of the club's academy. "He works with the youth players now and he has always been there in my career. He has helped me a lot and people have said I am a similar player to him."

Wilshere, who signed a new long-term deal reported to be worth £50,000 a week on Monday, also named his Arsenal captain among his sources of inspiration. "At the minute Cesc Fábregas is the best midfielder in the Premier League but in the past there have been players like Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira – all complete midfielders. I was on the books when Patrick was still here and I think the way he tackled and intercepted play is something I would [like to] add to my game.

"Cesc talks to me and tells me what I need to do. He was 16 when he burst on to the scene so you just need to talk to the senior players like him and they help you through."

Wilshere, who also made his senior England debut this season, is keen to improve. "The strongest part of my game at the moment is my passing – which is good as that's the way Arsenal play – and my weakest is probably my right foot, but I'm working on that," he said. "I try to use my right foot but it could be better."

Source: Jamie Jackson, The Guardian on 4 Nov 10

No comments:

Post a Comment