Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nicklas Bendtner threatens to leave Arsenal if denied regular starts

Nicklas Bendtner has poured out his frustration at being on the fringes at Arsenal, insisting he "cannot accept" the situation and saying he will push for a transfer if it does not improve.

The Denmark striker returned to selection contention in the middle of last month after a long-term groin problem, yet he has been used only as a late substitute in five Premier League matches.

He was given the opportunity from the start in the Carling Cup tie at Newcastle United and the Champions League game away to Shakhtar Donetsk.

Arsène Wenger, the manager, admits it is a challenge to keep all his strikers happy – Robin van Persie is now playing again after his serious ankle ligament injury, while the summer signing Marouane Chamakh is the club's top scorer with eight goals in all competitions – but Wenger said outbursts from any player could not influence his selection policy. "I'm extremely disappointed with my lack of minutes on the field," said Bendtner, who has just 45 to his name in the Premier League so far this season.

"I feel I've done everything right in getting back to fitness and I'm in the best shape of my life. I feel even better than before the injury and, at that point, I was in the starting XI and close to fulfilling my potential. I just lack minor things now to be back to my best again but I'm only getting those by playing matches. That's what I have to do now. There's not more to it than that.

"When I'm 100% fit I cannot accept sitting on the bench. I'm turning 23 soon and, at this stage in my career, it's important for my development to play regularly, game after game.

It was put to Bendtner that going public with his views may irritate Wenger. "I think I can allow myself to say this," he replied. "I simply have to get to the next stage in my career and that's the reason why I'm saying these things right now. I'm just saying my opinion as the person I am. If the situation doesn't change and I'm still on the bench at Arsenal, I'll look for a transfer. That's obvious.

But my first priority is definitely, as it always has been, to play for Arsenal. I've had a lot of patience and I won't sit on the bench any more. I want to play, and I hope I will for Arsenal.

"I'll just say that I'm 100% good enough for the starting XI at Arsenal. I have the qualities and I've been sitting enough on the bench in my career. If my manager feels differently that's fair and he's the one choosing the team, but then I disagree [with him]."

Wenger has grown used to Bendtner's particular brand of self-confidence – its mention drew a wry smile from him on Friday – and he said that the player would have to continue to bide his time, although he accepted getting the message across may be difficult.

"When you try to convince a player that he has to be patient, then you waste your time," Wenger said. "That's what you've got to do but you ask a player if he is fit after two training sessions and he says 'Yes'. It's normal. I was the same. Nicklas has to continue to work and when he is completely match-fit, he will play.

"When the manager picks a team before the game, he picks one to win and he doesn't consider anything else. If you start to consider anything else, you never finish."

Wenger has accepted that Van Persie, who has been on the substitutes' bench for the past two matches, will join the Netherlands squad for next week's friendly against Turkey despite his initial reservations. He will talk to the Holland coach, Bert van Marwijk, and he said that it might benefit Van Persie to play for 45 minutes.

Source: David Hytner, The Guardian on 12 Nov 10

No comments:

Post a Comment