Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wenger's reaction to the Tottenham Hotspur 1-4 Arsenal match

on the performance...
The game was enjoyable. We played well in the first half but we were only one goal in front and after that Tottenham came back. We were for a few minutes a little bit in danger but slowly we took over again and in the final 20 minutes it looked that would could score, but we didn't. Then we got these two penalties which in my opinion were penalties and that was the turning point of the game. But overall we played very well.

on the strength of the team...
We got a few reproaches that we didn't take the competition seriously, that it was a derby, it was the start of a competition and to go out straight away would be difficult. We have a momentum going and it is sometimes important not to interrupt it. Some players needed competition like Gibbs, Denilson and Vela. Overall that was the reason.

on whether his selection was a one-off...
I don't know yet. It depends as well on the injuries, we had so many players out today. When you look at the players we left at home, when everybody's fit I can go as well for this competition. It depends.

on accepting the FA charge...
I accepted it because what I was charged with I did so I could not deny it, so that's why I took it. I could appeal but I thought it was better to get it behind me. It was quite enjoyable to watch from upstairs.

on communicating with the bench...
It was a bit of a problem sometimes but overall it went well.

on his opinion of the Carling Cup...
I said before that the two big competitions that really count are the Champions League and the championship and I maintain that. But it doesn't mean that I do not celebrate when we win games. I want to win every single game I play with my team.

on Jack Wilshere...
He was outstanding. I am a bit cautious with him because you do not want to get too quickly too early all the praise. In the first half I think he has shown a little bit of everything you want from a football player. He got some stick and he could take it, he didn't respond. He played, tackled, won the ball and tactically his position on the pitch was always good. He had an outstanding first half. He is fearless.

on the Tottenham goal...
I need to see it again. He touched it and he looked like he had it. Apart from the goal he had a good game, his decision-making was good, he had not too many shots to stop but overall it is good for him that we won.

on Henri Lansbury...
He has not played for a long time and he is a bit like Ray Parlour - up and down, fantastic engine, good attitude. He smells when you have to be in the box. He is a player who is always in there when a cross is coming in from the other side. He always scores goals.

Source: Arsenal.com on 21 Sep 10

No comments:

Post a Comment