Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lukasz Fabianski ready to unseat Manuel Almunia as Arsenal No1 keeper

Lukasz Fabianski is ready to challenge Manuel Almunia for the first-choice goalkeeping position at Arsenal and hopes to start against Chelsea on Sunday.
Fabianski went from Flappy Handski to Fab Handski after what Arsène Wenger described as a "faultless" performance during his side's 3-1 win away to Partizan Belgrade last night.

The Pole saved a penalty and brilliantly palmed a late shot round a post, banishing some unfortunate memories of errors in Arsenal's goal and possibly persuading the club's fans to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fabianski started in Serbia only because Almunia, heavily criticised for his mistakes during the 3-2 home defeat by West Bromwich Albion, had been left at home, apparently nursing an elbow injury. With Almunia rated doubtful for Sunday's trip to Stamford Bridge, his former understudy is on stand-by. "I am ready to play against Chelsea," Fabianski said. "I am always ready, so we will see."

The 25-year-old, signed by Wenger from Legia Warsaw three years ago, claimed to be immune to the criticism. "I was never really bothered by all the things said. I was always trying to focus on my job and my work. That is what I was always doing and that is why I am grounded."

Fabianski would not be human were he not even a little hurt by the scathing analysis of his perceived blunders against Porto in the Champions League last year, during a 2009 FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea and, just last week, against Tottenham in the Carling Cup, and he appreciates football's shades of grey. He stresses that goalkeeping is about more than pulling off show-stopping saves – or making the odd misjudgment. "Overall I am pleased with my performance," he said, well aware that rumour has it that Mark Schwarzer or Shay Given may be arriving at the Emirates in January.

"I am not just talking about saves but reading the game, coming for crosses or playing with my feet. Every aspect of goalkeeping is important for me, so I am pleased with my performance in general."

Such perspective is all very well but is still hard to escape the feeling that a September Tuesday night in Belgrade could yet come to be seen as a watershed in Fabianski's career. Certainly Wenger could not disguise his delight at seeing the goalkeeping ability "we see every day in training" finally transported to the pitch. "I am confident he can come out as a great keeper," said Arsenal's manager, who will give the injured Cesc Fábregas and Thomas Vermaelen fitness tests before the trip to Chelsea. "I know it is in him."

Fabianski hopes to be part of a winning side at Stamford Bridge. "We are playing really well this season," he said. "There was a big shock on Saturday [against West Brom] but I think you could see against Partizan we had learnt some things from Saturday. The performance was much better so we are looking forward to the Chelsea game. It's going to be an exciting one to watch – and we are in good condition."

Source: Louise Taylor, The Guardian on 29 Sep 10

No comments:

Post a Comment