Sunday, November 20, 2011

Wenger's reaction to the Norwich 1-2 Arsenal match

on the three points…
We should have got there at the start because we missed some early chances. In the first 20 minutes we had at least three clear-cut opportunities and on top of that we were 1-0 down. That made the game difficult against a very dynamic Norwich side.

But backs against the wall we did very well again today, like we did at Chelsea. In the second half, once we got to 2-1 we controlled the game well and were never really in trouble. Overall it is a very positive win today. The team is growing from game to game, getting stronger and you feel there is some mental strength inside there.

on the importance of Robin van Persie…
Van Persie is 28, Fabregas and Nasri left at 24. My dream is that Van Persie stays until the end of his career at this Club. I will do the maximum I can to try to convince him and I hope I will manage to do that.

on Robin's credentials as one of the world's best…
He has some competitors there but he is one of the best of course. It is always difficult to say he is the only one. He is exceptional and he has something that you cannot give to people. Today he finished with a chip on his right foot - and I have never seen a bigger left-footed player than Robin van Persie. He always makes the right decisions in a fraction of a second when there is little time available. That makes him exceptional.

on the Norwich goal…
I must say I was upset with the referee at the time but I will have to check that on the television. I thought that Morison brought him down with his left hand.

But I told Per that when you are in England facing goal, maybe in many countries you are safe but not here. That's what he has learned today.

on quitting…
No [I wouldn't think about quitting]. If you read [the interview in L'Equipe] you will see I said that I have two years on my contract. It was after a conversation with a journalist and he said, 'there is no way that you will ever leave is there?'. I said the only way I would consider it at the end of the season is if I didn't deliver what is expected from me. Then of course if you say you love the Club and you are below what people are expecting from you, that is the only way I will consider it.

For the rest of the time I am personally completely committed to the Club and will respect my contract until the end. At the start of the season when I made this interview there were of course many people questioning what I do. I was determined. The interview was two or three weeks ago. But I maintain that I am committed to this Club and will respect my contract until the last day - unless I feel that I am not good enough.

on expectations…
I have to honestly rate the quality of my work at the end of the season and think whether or not I took the maximum out of the team. You want me to say now that if we do not get into the top four I will quit. Over 15 years I have had many questions to analyse the situation in the most honest and objective way.

I don't question my commitment to my contract and I think I have shown that in the past. I will do that in the future too. This is the club of my life and will remain so unless I feel I do not do well enough. I don't think that is something surprising.

I can return this question to you - what do you expect of me? We want to play football that makes Arsenal proud and that gives enjoyment to people who come and watch us.

on his frame of mind for that interview…
No [it was no different to now]. Even when I gave an interview to a foreign newspaper after we lost 8-2, I was even more determined to put things right. It was nothing in my mind especially, just the fact that the journalist asked me if I would ever leave the Club. I said the only way I could do it if I feel I am a pain for the Club.
 
Source: Arsenal.com on 19 Nov 11

No comments:

Post a Comment