Friday, March 4, 2011

Bendtner - We expect Barcelona to score

Nicklas Bendtner believes Arsenal will need to score in the Nou Camp to advance to the last eight of the Champions League - because he expects Barcelona to find the net.

The Catalan giants have to find a way past Arsène Wenger's side next Tuesday after losing 2-1 at Emirates Stadium in the first leg of their last-16 tie and they are odds-on to do so having been shut out just twice on home soil since May 2009.

Barcelona ran in four goals when they hosted Arsenal at the Quarter-Final stage of the competition last season after Bendtner gave the visitors an all-too-brief advantage in the first half. The Danish striker is in line to start once again with Robin van Persie sidelined by injury and he is hoping to repeat his personal feat.

"That is the dream scenario," said Bendtner.

"It is a difficult place to go and Barcelona have not failed to score there in forever, but we have to try to do the same as we did [in the FA Cup win over Leyton Orient], try to be compact and press in a good way, to have a good balance in the team and then obviously take our chances because Barcelona always score when they play at home."

The 23-year-old is bang in form after his hat-trick helped Arsenal see off Leyton Orient in their FA Cup Fifth-Round replay on Wednesday night. The Nou Camp represents a significant step up in class but Bendtner believes he can rise to the occasion after rediscovering his best form.

"Of course [I have no problems leading the line]. I believe now I am getting back to where I belong, and there are still improvements to make," he said.

"I feel that in the last month I have definitely improved, also due to my injury being completely finished. You can see that on the pitch. I played for a little bit when I was half-injured [last season], I sort of just got through it and did my best.

"However, I had my own injuries to deal with and then at the start of the season I missed a bit. It has taken me a long time to get where I am but I am pleased with my progress.

"It is going well for me, but we are a team and it will be the team that wins in Barcelona, not just one player."

Source: Chris Harris, Arsenal.com on 3 Mar 11

No comments:

Post a Comment