Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sébastien Squillaci unrepentant after forcing transfer to Arsenal

Sébastien Squillaci has already demonstrated a ruthless and single-minded approach in forcing through his £5m move from Sevilla to Arsenal and now the France defender is intent on winning the battle to establish himself in Arsène Wenger's team.

The 30-year caused uproar last Wednesday when he refused to play for Sevilla in the first-leg of their Champions League play-off against Braga in Portugal, as he did not want to become cup-tied in Europe and so jeopardise his hopes of making the proposed transfer.

Sevilla lost 1-0, leaving them with work to do in the return fixture tomorrow night , and Squillaci was criticised for his behaviour, although the coach, Antonio Alvarez, said that he was quick to put the controversy behind him. "I didn't like the fact that Squillaci didn't want to play but the circumstances turned out that way," he said. "I turned over a new page and forgot about the issue."

The Sevilla defender Julien Escudé said that Squillaci had been named in the line-up only to be withdrawn in what, at the time, were mysterious circumstances. "When the coach gave his team talk, Sebastien was starting," Escudé said. "Then, I do not know what happened, with the coach or the sporting director, but there was a change in the line-up. Later, we knew Sébastien refused to play. I was surprised."

Arsenal, who were unhappy at the way Barcelona targeted and unsettled their captain, Cesc Fábregas, for much of the summer only for him to stay in north London, have maintained they have done nothing wrong over Squillaci and the player himself was unrepentant.

"If a French player receives an offer from Arsène Wenger, it's practically impossible to turn down," he said. "It was a sensational offer for me and I was happy Sevilla let me go. It was a difficult situation but I knew I had to take this chance. I knew if I played against Braga then I would not have been able to play for Arsenal in the Champions League."

Squillaci, formerly of Monaco and Lyon, suggested it was a dream to follow in the footsteps of some of his countrymen and join Arsenal, who are sometimes referred to in France as their first division's 21st club. He enters competition with Thomas Vermaelen, Laurent Koscielny and Johan Djourou for a starting place in the centre of defence. Alex Song, the midfielder, can also play in the position.

"Arsenal were always the team I watched out for," said Squillaci, who began his medical assessment at the club today. "For any spectator like me, you had to watch a squad with [Thierry] Henry, [Robert] Pirès, [Patrick] Vieira and [William] Gallas. Now, I'm happy to have my name in the history books. For me, this is a great new challenge and I've gone there purely to be part of that.

"I don't think my age is a problem. My experience in football is great and players of my age tend to be at the peak of their playing career."

Arsenal have started the season with a 1-1 draw at Liverpool and a 6-0 home win over Blackpool and two players to have emerged with credit are the midfielders Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky. Wilshere, who is known for his creative and attacking prowess, played in front of the back four against Blackpool, alongside Abou Diaby, and Wenger suggested that the 18-year-old's development would be best served in such a role.

"He is strong one against one, he has good commitment and it is important in the development of a player for him to start there," Wenger said. "After, you can always push a player higher up but let's start with the difficult work. Once you do that, you can always take the easier job. And I always have many offensive players."

One of them is the Czech Rosicky who, after so much injury turmoil, has finally enjoyed a full pre-season and is eager to show his true colours this season. "I am very happy for Rosicky," Wenger said. "It was not really Rosicky last year. I like to handle him on the pitch and in the dressing room because he is an outstanding character. He is a team player and has great quality."

Source: David Hytner, The Guardian on 23 Aug 10

No comments:

Post a Comment